My life after College

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Welcome to Canada!

Wow, a weekend can go pretty fast when you are busy. You host a young adults party, go out with friends, go swimming, pick up a student from Japan who will be staying at the house for 3 weeks, pack to go camping, watch a race, pack up the camp site, drive home, unpack the trailer, go to bed. That was my weekend and I enjoyed every little bit of it.

Our Japanese student arrived on Saturday for 3 weeks. She is very quiet but we are starting to see her come out of her schell more, and it has only been a few days. Every year for the past 6 years we have been hosting the summer students that come to beautiful Muskoka. We have had students in all including 1 student for a whole year, 5 girls, and 1 boy in total. I think of it as learning experience for both families as we learn about their culture and they learn about our culture. Each year we learn something new, and every year I look forward to a new student. Below is a picture of our student and I when we were camping this past weekend. I think it was a bit of a shock was the student though going right to camping. At least we wern't in a tent we had a trailer with beds, a table, a kitchen, and a bathroom (although we didn't hook anything up).

Welcome to Canada YK (nickname)!!..We hope you enjoy your stay in Canada!


Please ignore the date in the corner, it was using my brothers camera, and didn't notice the wrong date that was being put on the photos.

Sunday was a busy day again for the athletes in the family. Dad was running in his first 1/2 ironman duathalon in Peterbourgh (usually he does duathalons) and Mon was performing in her horse competitions down south. The 1/2 ironman was a 2km run (approx 10 min), 90km bike (approx 3hrs), 20 km run. Way to go DAD, you finished the race and even got 1st in your age/group category!!! Mon got reserve champion in her jumping!! Congrats to you both!!!

I was spammed so I'm republishing this post, as well as I changed my secuirty settings!..Stupid spam!

3 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that is pretty cool! I've never really know anyone to be a host family. I've only seen it done in movies!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger no_average_girl said...

hey girl! It's been a joy to see you at my blog! :-)

It's awesome you guys host these students! Do they speak fluent English? Is it hard to communicate sometimes?

Our pastor's family did student exchanges from Slovakia for years - and the now graduated students still come back for visits!

BTW, here is Building 429's myspace! You can hear a few of their songs here...probably two of my favorites are I Belong To You and Fearless. Who are some of your favorite bands/artists?

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Meggles said...

In reply,
the students are sometimes hard to understand and communicate with, although they bring a little handheld computer so that they can translate words. We have been doing this for a few years now so we are getting to know the words that are easy and hard for them to understand.

Thanks for the link I'll have to check them out later on today. Have to get going and start getting ready for work..ttyl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home