My life after College

Friday, October 20, 2006

Working Girl

So I technically have not had a job since after my contract was over up at the resort. It was my personal choice as I wanted to go away on the trip to New York, and have some time to relax. Cuz hey, when am I ever going to get a chance to not have a job.

During the past few weeks I have been working though. Just not technically on a payroll at any company. More under the table type of work. I have cleaned a house with my mom's friend as her parents were coming up and needed help. It was also my friend Jordan's and Tristan's mom, who is like a mom to me too. So I didn't mind helping her out. I helped her for 2 days and she paid me. Then I babysat/looked after/picked up from school and such for her other son who is 11yrs old.

Also my dad runs a construction business, in which he does more than just construction. He also does tree work, like pruning, major tree take-downs and such. With the past few storms that we have had he has had a lot of tree work. So I have been doing yes physical labour of pulling brush and cleaning up from after the tree take downs. As well I was able to help do some actual construction. I even got to use a drill!!...we were screwing down some plywood on a boathouse deck for the duradeck (like vinyl) could be put down after. I also did some chalking so the lines would be straight, or get the guys the tools (if I knew what they were), and the move this and move that girl. It was fun as we did a lot of the work on an island. So we would pack and unpack the boat each day. At the end of the day I actually felt good, as I had been outside all day, and the day went by fast. Not to mention the pay was nice, as I wasn't expecting to work during my time off.

So to say the least, I have been working, but also taking life as it comes the past month and a half. I starting applying for jobs a few weeks ago. Heard nothing, but kept handing them out. I heard from one place, but we could never get a hold of each other, and so I though they stopped trying. I then got another call and had an interview and didn't get the job. A few days later I heard from the place that had been trying to get a hold of me, and we set up an interview which was for this past tuesday. So I went to the interview, it lasted 5 minutes. Went home and then called me about 2 hrs or less later to say when can I start. I said whenever. They said tomorrow.

So I have been working 9-5 since Wednesday. I'm working at an appliance service shop. I take calls for appliances to be fixed. Get all the information. Take warranty calls. File the invoices. Call people to set up appointment and make sure someone will be there or a door will be left open, or the boat will be there for the technician to get to the island and such. I also set up the next days parts (I still have no clue what any of the part are, thank goodness they are labelled with the last name and the invoice #). Its a lot of info that I don't know about yet, as I never really had to worry about whether my fridge was a maytag or g.e. or thermadore, or sub-zero, or viking. Hey I'm starting to learn some names. lol....So I'm still deciding whether I like the job or not. They kinda threw me into the job, and said hey theres your desk, this is the phone, this is how you get messages, these are the files, have fun. Thats what it felt like. I'm sure they hate me by know, as I ask questions all the time. However I'm sure they would rather have that then me screw up their office. Its just a small office, 2 technicians, the co/owner which she does the books and stuff she is also the head technicians wife, and me. So there is only 4 of us. But we are always busy. The first two days weren't too bad, they just expect a lot from me, but they gave me no training. I also don't like how they do their scheduling, and how they treat people, but I guess thats business and they haven't had to worry about it as they are always going to have work. See they are the only service shop that services sub-zero within over 40 minutes of us. So everyone that lives on the lakes calls us, meaning all the cottagers who only come up on certain dates, or have someone else to contact as they have left for Florida or somewhere south for the winter. Today was good though, I was able to learn more about warranties, and start some filing which helped me learn more. Also I'm getting used to the info I need to ask when they call. A bonus is I get paid every week. However, I don't get paid till next week, as they paid from the week before. So I get paid from Wed-Sat this week next Fri. I don't work Saturdays, but sometimes they do service calls on those days, so there might be an odd day in the summer or when we start to get super busy they might have me come in on a Sat to help get caught up with paper work. As long as I know before hand I don't mind the odd Saturday. As long as I get my Sunday's off. They like those days as family days too which is good.

I'm going to take this weekend to relax and reconnect with my puppy. I missed him sooo much the first day I was gone, it felt like I felt my baby after being on maternity leave. He was soo happy to see me that night, I hugged him soo much. Our family is going up to the farm to see my Nana and Papa (my dad's parents), I always love going to the farm. There is so much to do, hikes through the trails and bushes, tons of land to go explore, and the smell of Nana's cooking is the best (your's is too mom).

Have a good weekend!!..I'm going to sleep-in tomorrow (if Bailey doesn't wake me up) and make french toast for breakfast!!!

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Congrats on the job. Even if your still getting used to it, at least its money and you can always look else where if need be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home